Wednesday, January 10, 2024

January 1/3

 

  That would be 1/3 of the way through,  not third day of.  

  I signed up for Karen Brown's JustGetItDoneQuilts declutter challenge again this year.  I'm currently 9 days behind, so things proceeding as normal, there!  A commitment I had for tomorrow has been cancelled due to covid, so I'm going to use that time to catch up on at least the first 4 days (day one and day two I had done in December of '23, so shouldn't have to spend much time on those).  

Days 4, 5 and 6 may well take me several hours each. Patterns, archives and books.  i went through books last year and managed to pull three to offload.  They are still sitting in a box upstairs, I've decided on three books I can definitely add to them, and might be able to let go of a few more that are for things I'm likely not going to get around to.  Bobbin Lace, for one. I have a kit from Lacis and three books that I acquired in 2012, and have not touched since except to dust them,  Another is tambour work. I bought a hoop, hooks and at least one book in '13 or '14, and they have been languishing on the shelf above the bobbin lace stuff. Time to set them free!  I know the basics of both, but know I'm not very likely to put in as much practice time as needed to become skilled.

Patterns:  I have three large boxes of various brands.  Many are old Children's Corner garments that are now out of print.  A good deal of them will be offered in facebook destash groups.  All the littles I sew for now range from a kid's 6 to a woman's 14.  I also have many many other patterns that are scattered around in various shelves, bags or boxes. Most are for me. I think they might be easier to work with if they're in the same general area. 

  I'm exhausted just thinking about this process, and that's only from the first week!  Scissors and cutters, and pins and clips are two other groups that will take multiple sessions just to locate and centralize without even starting to declutter them.  

  I am blessed to have So Much Stuff---but it would be nice if I was also complementarily blessed with a tidy-and-organized gene.  


That's as far as I got with my cutting table last year. Three times that much was cleared off and put away where it belongs. (I'll never find it again)  

  I've started to get some sewjo back again, so will really work to make the rooms usable again.  There are materials for two quilts by Crabapple Hill Designs  whispering to me from pretty boxes as well as a metric shedload of dresses and daygowns.  I've sworn myself to a fabric fast until I've cleared out at least one bin of fabric by turning into wearable items. 

Enough for today.  The hubby has online gaming tonight, so I'm going to go do all the noisy kitchen chores before they get started.

May your sewing rooms be ever uncluttered!

-K

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I would settle for "It's cluttered but I know where everything is" at present. Every time I tidy up I find some things and lose others!