I'm still working on my party dress. Appliqueing the points around the neckline is taking much longer than I'd anticipated. I've only got one finished, two are half done, and I've got 5 more to go before I can start on the hemline design.
I had to mess around with the method of applying bias to the points. Had I got it right the first time, I'd have 3 or 4 of the things finished already, but it took me a while to remember the best way of going about it.
This poly satin is a bear to work with. It snags easily, it slips off the work surface far too often, and it's difficult to get the creases pressed in or out of it. More accurately, if I want a crease in, it refuses to stay pressed. If I want one out, it stubbornly refuses to succumb to applications of heat, steam and pressure. I so much prefer natural fibers, but this quantity of silk satin would have cost a small fortune.
Thursday, November 12, 2009
This year the holiday shindig has a roaring 20's theme. As I am both too old and too round to pull of the flapper look, I'm going for 'fashionable matron about town' instead. So far, I have found a photo of a lovely dress from 1924 which I plan to use as inspiration. It can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29618786@N03/4078639534/sizes/o/
I'll be using a deep blue silk satin for the main dress and lighter blue and white textured silks for the applique. The applique design is giving me fits. So far, I'm having no luck in copying those swirls.
I'm meeting a sewing friend later who has done some couture work; hopefully she'll be able to give me some advice.