Thursday, January 26, 2023

Decluttering Update

 

As expected, this 21-Day Decluttering challenge is taking me far more than 21 days. 

I missed a few days due to aches and pains, and also discovered that doing this according to her categories wasn't going to work well for me because I have everything everywhere in my sewing rooms.


 I started with clearing off the alleged cutting table.  I got it down to just three small piles before calling it quits one night.  The next day, I got those three piles where they belongs, then picked a box off the floor and started sorting the contents into their various homes.  This is working!  I've emptied three boxes of mixed stuff and cleared out at least 10 sq feet of carpet!  I have a large box for donations that is now half full, and can actually see most of the cutting table.  

                                                   A second load plopped onto the cutting mat.

One of the things Karen (Brown) mentions in her decluttering videos is that a sewing room works best if you have a work triangle of sewing station, ironing station and cutting station, and none of these should be more than 12' from the others. My sewing station is in a different room....soooo, once I get a little further along with putting things away I will be moving my sewing cabinet in to the north room where the cutting and ironing tables live.  I'd like to put it all in the south room because of the better lighting, but I just do not feel like moving an entire wall's worth of Elna shelves and their contents. I sew most at night anyway,

Am I thrilled with this decluttering journey?  No.  It's slow going, and I'd like it to be done now, please.

Am I satisfied with my progress?  You bet!  I've been spending at least an hour every-other day up there unearthing treasures and getting things stored in logical and tidy manners.  I've found at least 6 kits that have been "lost" in there for months and months (and years...), and two I forgot I bought.  I have a solid plan for moving forward.  It is well.





1 comment:

Rachel said...

You have my admiration - I've never managed more than a couple of days before falling off the wagon, where decluttering is concerned!