Wednesday, May 9, 2012

garden update

  As I read my various usual blogs, I notice that many of us seem to be having trouble with allergies this year.  Yup, me too.  I love looking at all the blooming things, but breathing seems less joyful.   We've had a lot of rain over the past few days.  I hope this will wash much of the pollen out of the air, but I fear it will  just encourage more blooming and sneezing!

   The days before the rains came in my husband and I managed to trim the lawn and rake out dead things from the front growth area.  We also purchased a small raised bed unit and I put a coat of marine varnish on the boards for a bespoke custom-made herb bed I ordered last year.  They need two more coats for exterior use, so it will be another week before that can be assembled, filled and planted.

   It all seems to take so much time.

3 comments:

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Hi Kathy, We have just over two acres but my gardens are on all sides of my house. That way I can keep everything handy :-) The front garden is bordering the sidewalk, the south side garden was made after a huge tree fell and an ugly stump remained so I began adding plants and ivy, the back garden runs into the north side garden and it has several "rooms" to it which I created using fern, paths and a few blooming trees. Its amazing what you can fit into an area. Plants love crowding.

Susan Elliott said...

Hi Kathy,
I had to run right over here and thank you for the link on color you sent to me. I've spent the morning following links and reading! Through that site, I also discovered radiolab and downloaded their story on Color. Thanks for connecting me. I appreciate it.

Susan Elliott said...

Hi Kathy, I don't have your email address so I'm responding here...hope that's OK...

You asked how I made the sea urchins?

Here's a link to the post I wrote about making one...

http://plays-with-needles.blogspot.com/2012/05/sea-urchin.html