Saturday, April 4, 2020

warning: first world problem alert


I have acrylic nails. I don't have them because they look pretty, although that is definitely not an unwelcome side benefit: I have them because my natural nails are thin, delaminate, and rip to down below the quick, which hurts and can make things like sewing, doing dishes, and even getting dressed difficult. I had to postpone my most recent appointment because of schedule conflicts, and was about to head in when the salons were told to close.
It's now been almost 2 months since I last had them done. They're far too long to be sensible. I filed them down, but they're still too long, and I can't get them into a useful shape. They slide off the keyboard when I try to type! They're starting to lift away from the natural nail ( 6 weeks is an amazing amount of time for one fill to last, so I'm not. complaining about that! My tech is good!) and that allows water to get in there, which encourages fungus, aka "the greenies", and my long hair gets stuck between the layers.

Seriously, COVID. Fuck off so I can go get my nails done.

Also- I am running out of Southern Comfort and the online ordering slots disappear as fast as toilet paper.

I purchased a waffle iron on my last trip to Target for cat litter and other necessities (the waffle iron was not a necessity) and it doesn't make waffles. It makes dimpled pancakes. Target is not accepting returns or exchanges right now because of The Plague COVID.

As I said, it's all first world problems, because we're healthy(ish) and have enough to eat and enough toilet paper; the hubby has worked at home for the past nine years, so we've gotten (mostly) past that point of another person around the house being annoyingly different.

I will still be very glad when I can get my nails done again. [ I may wind up soaking off the current acrylic and making do with dip nails for the duration. I can do that myself assuming my base coat hasn't solidified. It won't look great, and it wont last long per application, but at least I'll be able to use my hands. ]

On the good news front, the power company is replacing telephone poles in our neighborhood. My hubby went to talk to a crew boss and they've arranged to not only replace the pole, but to MOVE IT two feet into our property line so it no longer blocks our egress from the garage in one direction or sits inside the roadway. I guess the previous owners wouldn't grant an easement; I think there may have been a hedge there. (previous building was razed and our house built new, so a totally different lot arrangement.

Whew. I feel better.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You clearly needed to vent! Yes, first world problems - but still problems, and at a time of upheaval, anything that makes life even slightly harder is just adding to the burden. I hope you find solutions or at least stopgaps to help.