Monday, June 17, 2019

It's like The Neverending Story without Falcor



     Mostly it just doesn't end, this organizing of the sewing rooms.

     I have not, as yet, encountered any stone demons, evil wizards, fluffy creatures or even a child-like Empress.  Just fabric, more fabric, patterns, magazines and "what the heck is this and why did I buy it and why is it up here?" things.  Fun times, my friends, Fun times.

     I've spent about 15 hours up there in chunks over the past 10 days, not counting Wednesday
thru Saturday because I did "something" to my left knee and couldn't go up and down the stairs.
It doesn't look as if I've spent any time organizing, but it does still look as if a tornado tossed things
around again. 
   I can see where the improvements are, but I doubt that anyone else would. 

I ordered some comic book storage boxes from Amazon and have been putting them together and moving some of my less-used magazines into them.  MAN, are these things GREAT!!  They're a bit
over  15 inches deep, so they hold a lot of magazines, and they take up the entire depth of the shelves I have. The magazine files I was using are much prettier, but they only utilize about half the depth available, and stacking them two deep wouldn't have been practical .  By the time I've relocated my Creative Needle collection and my SagaNews into these, I'll have made about 5 feet of linear space for the items I use more often. 

  Approximately 90 ancient craft magazines will be going to the recycle center soon. Yes, there are some cute projects in them.  No, I will probably never actually get around to making said projects.  I'm pretty sure that I have supplies for at least 10 years of projects on my shelves already without adding new ones into the queue.  I have moved these magazines from Philly to Amsterdam, to a little town north of Alkmaar, to California and then here to Pittsburgh and I have not made one single project from any of them.  It's time to thank them and let them go.  Past time. 

   As a totally unhelpful bonus, both of my Dyson vacuum cleaners have stopped sucking this week. I just had my upright in for a servicing!  It worked great for a day or two, and now it just doesn't pick anything up.  I get good suction through the hose, just not the beater brush.   I'll take it apart and check for a wad of paper; if I can't find anything obvious, it goes back to the shop.   The canister vac is probably due for a service visit, too.  I cleaned out the brush head really well last week, but that hasn't added to the suction capabilities at all.  The hoses all seem to be clear, there's just no suckage.
    This may sound like a tragedy, but seriously, both machines are over 8 years old, and with 2-3 cats and two adults with waist-length hair in the house, I think we've gotten our money's worth out of them. That being said, my next vacuums are going to be far less expensive models.

   Check back soon.  I'll tell you all about the Christening Dress I'm making for an impending stranger!  (not me- a sister-in-law)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

That sounds very much like the Ballad of Unending Domestic Upheaval!