Friday, December 21, 2018

Fine thanks, and yours?



Have you ever had one of those projects that you were really excited about, but thing just kept stomping all over your enthusiasm?
   Of  course you have, if you're a normal person.

Let me tell you about mine...

   I'm still working on christmas dresses for my great-grand-neices.  I love the patterns.  I love the fabric.  The beadwork will be fun to work on.
  IF I can get the wretched bodice on the larger one properly!


While pulling out the basting threads from the second side of the bodice-to-skirt seam, I noticed that the tips of some of the pleats had turned inwards and were visible on the right side of the seam.  (The first one went in perfectly.) ((because of course it did.))  I carefully unpicked the stitching, which was not easy given the really great match of fabric and thread, pulled out the gathering threads and pressed the skirt out flat again.  Restitch the gathering rows (3 of them), carefully knot the upper thread and start pulling up the bobbin thread.  Pin the wrong side of the skirt to the wrong side of the
bodice, pull the pleats to fit and carefully, carefully go over the entire length of the seam twice to make sure nobody has wriggled to the right side again.  Stitch the seam...  turn it over, and it looks pretty good.

   I take the garment into the other room and sit down, slide the seam under my magnifying light and discover that somehow, SOMEHOW, a few threads have escaped to the right side.  I made the seam bigger; screw ripping all those stitches out again.
 
The next step is to fold the bodice lining back over the skirt and bodice front bits, making a sort of fabric sandwich.  It didn't look quite right, but I stitched it anyway.  I pulled out the pins and shook the garment out....yeah, it looked okay, so I did the other side of the bodice.   This is when I realized that the previous sandwich was more of a bread/bread/filling than the proper bread/filling/bread.
You guessed it.  I am going to have to take those stitches out again and redo the skirt-to-bodice seam, this time actually stitching the pieces wrong sides together the right way around. 

But first, I'm going to have a SoCo and cola and watch an episode of Midsomer Murders.  Nothing like a little murder and illicit doin's in the quaint villages of South Oxfordshire to repair a fractious sewing session! 
 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sending encouraging thoughts and hope that your prescription works!